Choose language
  • Nederlands
  • Duits
  • Engels
  • Frans
  • Chinees
Aako BV
P.O. Box 205
3830 AE Leusden
The Netherlands
KvK 31009627


CAS number:
Product type

General description

The product occurs as a tautomeric mixture, the keto and enol forms being in equilibrium.

Appearance White crystalline powder

Odour Practically odourless

Mode of Action and Application of Allantoin

Allantoin, known for many years for its therapeutic action on skin tissue,1 is widespread in animal organisms and in plant material. Allantoin has been used for centuries in the folk medicine of many countries, to promote wound healing. In 1912, Macalister2 demonstrated that the active substance of black salsify is identical with Allantoin, and in 1935 Robinson was successful in isolating Allantoin from animal organisms as the principal active ingredient. Before its isolation from natural products, Allantoin was successfully synthesized for the first time in 1838 by Woehler and Liebig. Following Robinson’s initial publications, the results of his studies were quickly applied in the medical and pharmaceutical sectors. A number of Allantoin-containing wound ointments and healing ointments were newly introduced in surgery and dermatology, and existing products of this type were improved by addition of Allantoin. Allantoin became established in the cosmetic industry many years ago, so it is already present in many cosmetic products. Particularly in this area, consumption has grown steadily.

Use in pharmaceuticals and dermatology

Addition of Allantoin to wound ointments and healing compositions promotes wound cleansing and healing. The indications for formulations of this kind are many, ranging from small, everyday injuries (cuts, burns, abrasions, chapped skin), to wounds that are slow to heal or purulent, refractory ulcers of various origins, to treatment of burns of various degrees and origins (thermal or radiation). Fisher5 showed in several studies that a preparation of 5% Allantoin in Vaseline® gave benefit in the treatment of leg ulcers, psoriasis and dry skin. Formulations containing Allantoin also have beneficial effects on eczema, contact dermatitis of the hands, hyperkeratosis, periodontosis and heat blisters in the mouth and on mucous membranes. What is especially advantageous is that the wounds heal without keloid formation. Internal and external haemorrhoids will respond well to suppositories and ointments containing Allantoin. Suitable vehicles for Allantoin include washable ointments of the oil-in-wateremulsion type. It is advisable to incorporate Allantoin in the aqueous phase of the formulation.

Use in the cosmetic industry

In cosmetic products, Allantoin promotes cell regeneration in skin exposed to and weakened by environmental factors, and helps to promote and maintain the health of intact skin on the body and face. Addition of Allantoin to hand lotions and hand creams helps eliminate rough, chapped skin, and leaves hands smooth and soft. Le Van6 et al. have studied e.g. the action of a skin-care product containing Allantoin in a large number of women with badly damaged skin. In 90% of the women using the hand lotion daily, the symptoms were completely eliminated, and for the remaining 10 %, at least a distinct improvement was observed. Skin areas superficially damaged through shaving are also renewed by the use of aftershaves containing Allantoin. Allantoin formulations are also highly suitable for use on the particularly sensitive skin of babies and infants. In various types of skin creams (e.g. “skin nourishing” creams, day and night creams), lip-care products, powders for various uses, after-sun lotions, and other cosmetic formulations, Allantoin potentiates the healing and regenerating activity of the skin. In lipsticks, deodorants, and suntan products it protects the skin from damage. Because of its extraordinarily good keratolytic properties, Allantoin is a valuable additive in various hair care products, especially for the treatment of dandruff. The good effect of Allantoin against periodontosis and heat blisters in the mouth and on mucous membranes makes this active ingredient a reliable additive in oral hygiene products. Typical use levels for Allantoin in cosmetic products are 0.1 – 0.4%.
Search in Cleaning products
Aako BV
P.O. Box 205
3830 AE Leusden
The Netherlands
More contact information »